At Discovery Point Buford we offer 3 Georgia State Funded Pre-K classes. We focus on math and literacy skills and equip children to become active readers and develop their problem solving skills. Our goal is to prepare your child for Kindergarten and beyond.
Areas of Development Parents can expect from our Pre- kindergarten Program:
- Language Arts and Literacy: At 4 years old, children begin to realize that they can put letters together to make words, and words together to make sentences. Your child will practice writing skills while writing his name and simple words.
- Mathematics:Your child will count and compare objects and groups of objects. Your child will participate in making graphs, completing patterns and measuring things with conventional and nonconventional measuring tools.
- Science:At 4 years old, children are naturally inquisitive. Children make observations, chart weather daily and identify differences in the seasons. They plant seeds and record the growth, learn the importance of keeping the earth clean and how to recycle at school and home.
- Social and Emotional Development:Children begin to understand the meaning of friendship by the time they’re 4 years old. They hug each other or sit with their arms around one another as they read a book. They begin identifying their feelings. We encourage children to discuss their emotions, to tell friends why they are special and to share enthusiasm for new people and new things.
- Gross and Fine Motor Development:At 4 years old, children have good control of their fine motor skills. They use crayons to turn scribbles into letters and words. They can zip, button and snap their own clothes. During meal times they will use forks and spoons to eat.
At Discovery Point, we know that learning happens all the time, not just in the classroom. When your child is outside on our age-appropriate playground, the learning continues. Our pre-kindergarten program emphasizes multiple areas of learning and growth because we want our students to succeed in every area of school and life.